Southern News Boston
Southern News Boston is a partnership between Southern News Group and American Weston Academy, formed as a media institution providing news, information, and education services to audiences in the New England area.
Southern News Boston offers the latest news through our online channels and newspaper, the Cambridge International Education News (CIEN). CIEN focuses on the daily progress of the educational and cultural life of the Asian community locally, throughout the US, and abroad.
American Asian Education Television (AAETV) serves audiences of all ages with our educational and entertainment programs across four channels:
- Community & People
With the support and resources of the American Weston Academy, Southern News Boston promotes online education services among the Asian community, covering K-12 general education, art training, and professional development.
Art EducationSuccessful art education programs led by American Weston Academy will also be accessible through our channels.
HistoryFounded in 2020 as a branch of the largest Asian media company in the US, Southern News Boston is the cooperation of Southern News Group and American Weston Academy. With our services in news, education, and culture, we seek to inform, engage, and serve the Asian community in the New England area. Offering the latest news through our online channels and newspaper, the Cambridge International Education News (CIEN), we focus on the daily progress of the educational and cultural life of the Asian community, within New England, the United States, and abroad.
Wea Hwa Lee
- Chairman of Southern News Group.
- Master of Political Science, Texas State Lamar University.
- Harvard Business School
- Over the decades, he has been devoted to serving the community and overseas Chinese groups. He has won honors such as “Outstanding Chinese Overseas” in 1976, “Outstanding American Youth” in 1983, and “Leading American CEO”.
A History of the Southern News Group
- June 16, 1979 – The Southern Chinese News was launched in Houston,as a weekly published on Saturday.
- 1980 – The Southern Chinese News start publishing the Houston Chinese Yellow pages/Telephone Books in Houston once a year.
- 1981 – USA Printing was established in Houston to print the Southern Chinese News and local community newspaper of other racial backgrounds.
- April 29, 1981 – The Southern Chinese News became a biwekly, and was published every Wednesday and Saturday.
- 1982 – The Southern Chinese News launched its Dallas edition, what has become now the Dallas Chinese Times.
- 1982 – Construction of the building of the Southern Chinese News, which included the USA Printing Facilities, started. The newspaper moved from its old location to the new building and started operation in the new facilities in 1984.
- June 1, 1983 – The Southern Chinese News, became a triweekly, and was published every Wednesday, Friday and Saturday.
- February 5, 1984 – The Southern Chinese News increased its publication from three a week to four times a week, and was published every Tuesday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
- 1984 – The Southern Chinese News started to sponsor and host various seminars, forums, conferences on a wide variety of issues and subjects of interest to the Chinese community, which were subsequently covered in the Southern Chinese Daily News.
- 1984 – The Southern Chinese News launched the Southern Arts Center to pomote cultural and artistic exchange and education among members of the Chinese community.
- November 1984 – The Southern Chinese News started to publish four times a week.
- December 16, 1984 – The Southern Chinese News started to publish six days a week, Tuesday through Sunday.
- May 10, 1985 – The Southern Chinese News started to publish the English language weekly US/Asia News in Houston to reach a broader spectrum of the Houstonian population, especially other Asian ethnic groups, and the mainstream society.
- March 26, 1988 – The Southern Chinese News launched Texas Chinese Television, the first Chinese language television in the state of Texas.
- October 12, 1990 – The Southern News Group established its sister publication, the Washington Chinese News, in weekly magazine in August 1998.
- September 21, 1991 – The Southern News Group started its publication, the Chicago Chinese News, in Chicago, as a weekly newspaper.
- October 2, 1992 – The Southern News Group started its publication, the Boston Chinese News, in Boston, Massachusetts, as a weekly newspaper.
- October 2, 1992 – The Southern News Group started its publication, the Atlanta Chinese News, in Atlanta, Georgia, as a weekly newspaper.
- September 1993 – The Southern News Group started a local edition, the Seattle Chinese News, in Seattle, Washington, as a weekly newspaper.
- 1993 – The Southern News Group launched its publication, the Bay Area Chinese News, in San Francisco, California, as weekly newspaper.
- 1995 – The Southern News Group launched the Global Electronic Chinese Daily News, America’s first online Chinese Daily newspaper in Houston.
- September 3, 1996 – The Southern Chinese News started to publish seven days a week, Monday through Sunday.
- October 11, 1996 – The Southern News Group established a franchise weekly newspaper, the St. Louis Chinese News, in St. Louis, Missouri.
- October 15, 1996 – The franchise newspaper of the Southern News Group, the Manila Chinese Times, was established in Manila, the Philippines.
- October 15, 1996 – The Southern News Group, started its cooperation with the franchise newspaper, Taipei World Forum.
- September 5, 1997 – The Southern News Group, established its franchise weekly newspaper, the Portland Chinese News, in Portland, Oregon.
- June 1999 – The Southern News Group, established its franchise Monthly newspaper, the Marketing News, in Cleveland, Ohio.
- 2020 – The Southern News Group Boston, located at 99 Westcliff in Weston, Massachusetts, forms to focus on online education while providing international and domestic news coverage to the New England area.